Eng Esp

New Mexico Drivers License

New Mexico Drivers License

Want do drive on New Mexico roads and don't have a drivers license yet? In this case, you should definitely consider applying for the New Mexico drivers license. The license issued in New Mexico allows you to operate the vehicles on all public roads in the country.

New Mexico Drivers License Types

If you have ever seen a truck driver operating his vehicle, it may look as if it is just like driving any other car. Well, it's not exactly true. Although the professional truck driver makes it look easy, driving a large heavy vehicle is completely different from driving your regular minivan. This is why the New Mexico MVD offers different types of drivers licenses, each one designed for operating a specific type of a vehicle. The following types of New Mexico drivers licenses are currently available:

  • Class W. Regular drivers license. Allows you to operate most of the cars we use on a daily basis.
  • Class M. Motorcycle drivers license.
  • Class A, B and C. Commercial drivers licenses, CDLs.

If this is your first drivers license, then you should probably start with the regular license. The training you receive during the application process will lay the base for any future professional drivers training you may choose to take while applying for a more advanced driving license class.

New Mexico Graduated Drivers License

In order to ensure that teen drivers receive proper training before they are allowed to get behind the wheel, the MVD in New Mexico enforced the graduated drivers license system. The New Mexico GDL system is a set of laws that govern the licensing procedure for teenagers and it utilizes compulsory drivers education courses and supervised driving periods to reduce the number of casualties among the teen drivers. Similar laws are present in most of the states and they have been shown to improve the crash rates among teenagers.

Drivers License Classes

The MVD treats education seriously and this is why if you are under 25 years of age, you will be required to complete one of the driving study programs.

If you are under 18 years of age, you must complete one of the state-certified New Mexico drivers education programs.

License applicants aged 18 to 24 do not need to complete drivers ed, but they must take a home study DWI awareness class, "None for the Road". The course is similar to the "Drug and Alcohol Awareness" programs in other states and it talks about the dangers of diving under the influence.

If you are 25 years old or older, the MVD does not require you to take any classes, but you may wish to do so at your own will.

Drivers Permit Testing

Before the MVD will allow you to start driving, you need to prove that you learned the New Mexico driving rules and road signs and you do that by taking a drivers permit test.

If you have not taken drivers ed yet and you would like to prepare for the exam, you can obtain a copy of the New Mexico drivers manual, which is distributed free of charge. The exam is based entirely on the materials put forth in the manual, which makes the book a great study resource. Once done with the book, test yourself with some free practice tests.

When you pass the exam, the MVD will issue you with the New Mexico learners permit that allows you to start your driving lessons and practice driving while being supervised by another licensed driver.

Upgrading To Drivers License

If you are under 18 year of age, you will need to hold your permit for at least 6 months before upgrading to a drivers license. Applicants who are older than 18 may upgrade once they gain enough driving experience.

In order to become eligible for the driving license, you have to take the drivers license exam. You will need to provide your own vehicle for the driving test and you must schedule the test in advance.

When you pass the driving exam, you are are given a temporary license that is valid until you receive your actual New Mexico drivers license in the mail. The process usually takes a week or two. If you do not receive the license in a few weeks, you can contact the MVD for an update.