If you live in Texas and would like to take a Texas Drivers Ed course without attending a driving school, you will need to know the following about the parent-taught drivers education courses.
DPS-approved parent taught driver education courses
The Department of Public Safety in Texas only approves the following Drivers Ed courses:
- course #101 - basic driver education course offered by the DPS
- course #102 - offered by National Driver Training Institute. CD-ROM or book driver education courses available
- course #103 - offered by Driver Ed in a Box. CD-ROM or book driver education courses available
- course #104 - offered by Curb Buster. CD-ROM or book driver education courses available
- course #105 - offered by Driver Ed at Home. Only book driver education course is available
- course #106 - offered by Texas Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association. Only book driver education course is available
- course #107 - offered by Virtual Drive of Texas. Computer based CD-ROM driver education course is available
- course #108 - offered by DriversEd.com. Online driver education course is available
- course #109 - offered by I DRIVE SAFELY. Online driver education course is available
Which parent taught Texas program should you choose?
This will depend on the amount of money you have and whether you are a confident computer user. Online drivers ed courses for Texas usually cost less than the CD-ROM counterparts; however, when you purchase the CD-ROM based course, you get to keep it and you can have your friends retake it. With the online course, it is one student per one account and there is no way around this.
You may choose to take a Texas free permit test which will allow you to evaluate your current level of knowledge and prepare you for the drivers license or learners permit test at the DPS.
DPS parent taught driver education package
In order to start any of the courses listed above, you will need to apply for a DPS drivers education package. You can do so by having your parents fill out the application form DL-92 and mailing it to the DPS along with a $20 check or money order. Once the DPS receives and processes the application, it will mail you the Texas DPS parent-taught drivers education package. Please note: THE PACKAGE INCLUDES COURSE #101. That means you do not need to order any other courses, course #101 is fully sufficient to get your Texas Drivers License or Texas Learners Permit. Other drivers education programs will require you to submit additional fees, $100-300, depending on the program.
Parent Taught Driver Education