Texas Course 101 - DPS Parent Taught Drivers Ed
There are many parent taught drivers education classes offered in Texas at the moment. Course 101 is offered directly by the Department of Public Safety and is fully sufficient in order to obtain your Texas learners permit or drivers license.
Before You Start
Before you can start any Texas parent taught drivers education class, you have to apply for this instruction method with the DPS. The instructing parent needs to fill in the application form, DL-92, and submit it to the DPS along with a $20 check or a money order. Within 2-3 weeks the DPS will mail you the DPS parent taught drivers education package that contains the documents required for the instructing parent to be able to teach drivers education. Please note that you cannot start any instruction until you get the package from the DPS.
Course 101 - The Model Parent Taught Course
Parent taught drivers education course 101 is the model course that was developed by Texas Department of Education and it replaces the state-adopted drivers education textbook. The course is titled Texas Driver and Traffic Safety Education Master Curriculum Guide and it is free to use by anyone who satisfies the DPS requirements. The course is divided into 10 modules and contains over 1,600 pages of sample drivers education and drivers training plans.
How To Obtain Texas Parent Taught Drivers Ed Program 101
Essentially, the materials are free and you can download courses 101 from the DPS website or view it online.
If you do not have convenient access to the internet and would like to obtain a printed copy of the course, you will need to fill in the request form and submit it to the DPS. You will also be required to pay $100 for the printed version of the curriculum.
If the printed version is a little too pricy for you, you can order the same course on a CD, which will cost you just $10. In order to order parent taught course 101 on CD, you need to submit the same request form as for the printed copy of the course.
Other Parent Taught Programs
The Department of Public Safety in Texas only approves the following Drivers Ed courses:
- course #101 - basic driver education course offered by the DPS. The CD with the program cost $25, however it is one of the simplest programs out there and we received reports previously that the program was hard to understand and the instructions on obtaing a drivers license with the help of the program were not very clear
- course #102 - offered by National Driver Training Institute. CD-ROM or book driver education courses available
- course #103 - offered by Driver Ed in a Box. CD-ROM or book driver education courses available
- course #104 - offered by Curb Buster. CD-ROM or book driver education courses available
- course #105 - offered by Driver Ed at Home. Only book driver education course is available
- course #106 - offered by Texas Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association. Only book driver education course is available
- course #107 - offered by Virtual Drive of Texas. Computer based CD-ROM driver education course is available
- course #108 - offered by DriversEd.com. Online driver education course is available
- course #109 - offered by I DRIVE SAFELY. Online driver education course is available