Eng Esp

Washington Drivers License Endorsements

Washington Drivers License Endorsements

In most situations, drivers license endorsements are used for granting you additional driving privileges without having you to apply for a different type of drivers license. Most of the Washington driver's license endorsements apply to commercial drivers licenses and thus won't be useful to those who currently hold a regular class C license. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as a motorcycle endorsement. A motorcycle endorsement can be added to any regular drivers license.

Washington Driver License Endorsement Codes

Keep in mind that the list of Washington driver's license endorsements that is presented here is not full and you may always contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for more details regarding any specific drivers license endorsement.

  • P - Passenger endorsement
  • S - School bus endorsement
  • T - Double/Triple trailer endorsement
  • N - Tank vehicel endorsement
  • H - Hazardous Material Endorsement
  • X - Combination endorsement
  • K - Air brake restriction

To get the HazMat endorsement, you must pass a written test based on the information in Section 9 of the Washington CDL drivers manual. You also will need a tank vehicle endorsement if you transport hazardous products in a cargo tank. If you apply for an original or renewal HazMat endorsement, you must undergo a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) federal security threat assessment (background records check). You start the TSA background records check after you apply for your CDL at DMV, successfully complete all appropriate law tests, and submit a valid medical form. You must submit fingerprints, a fee, and any additional required information to one of TSA’s designated agents.

Washington Motorcycle Endorsement

You can either add a motorcycle endorsement to your existing Washington driver's license or apply for a separate motorcycle driver's license if you do not currently hold a regular license. The application process is very similar to that of applying for a regular license - you will have to take a separate Washington permit test, get a permit, than pass the Washington driver's test and get your motorcycle drivers license. The permit test will be somewhat different from the regular one and will emphasize the regulations that apply to motorcycles. You may wish to take a few Washington driver's practice tests to see if you are prepared for the exam. Signing up for a Washington driver's education class is also not a bad idea if you have not competed the class yet.