Eng Esp

Oregon Drivers License Endorsements

Oregon Drivers License Endorsements

In most situations, drivers license endorsements are used for granting you additional driving privileges without having you to apply for a different type of drivers license. Most of the Oregon driver's license endorsements apply to commercial drivers licenses and thus won't be useful to those who currently hold a regular class C license. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as a motorcycle endorsement. A motorcycle endorsement can be added to any regular drivers license.

Oregon Driver License Endorsement Codes

Keep in mind that the list of Oregon driver's license endorsements that is presented here is not full and you may always contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for more details regarding any specific driver's license endorsement.

  • H Any vehicle which carries hazardous materials (HAZMAT) that requires placards.
  • M Motorcycle endorsement for any motorcycle regardless of engine displacement.
  • N Tank vehicles designed to transport any liquid or gaseous material within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to a vehicle or chassis. Does not include portable tanks with a rated capacity of less than 1,000 gallons.
  • P Passenger vehicles designed to carry 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Q Moped (No longer used but may still appear on some records).
  • S School bus used to transport students to/from school or school events.
  • T Double/triple trailers allowed.
  • X Combined hazardous materials/tank endorsement.
  • Y Farm endorsement (Class A).
  • Z Farm endorsement (Class B)

To get the HazMat endorsement, you must pass a written test based on the information in Section 9 of the Oregon CDL drivers manual. You also will need a tank vehicle endorsement if you transport hazardous products in a cargo tank. If you apply for an original or renewal HazMat endorsement, you must undergo a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) federal security threat assessment (background records check). You start the TSA background records check after you apply for your CDL at DMV, successfully complete all appropriate law tests, and submit a valid medical form. You must submit fingerprints, a fee, and any additional required information to one of TSA’s designated agents.

Oregon Motorcycle Endorsement

You can either add a motorcycle endorsement to your existing Oregon driver's license or apply for a separate motorcycle driver's license if you do not currently hold a regular license. The application process is very similar to that of applying for a regular license - you will have to take a separate Oregon permit test, get a permit, than pass the Oregon driver's test and get your motorcycle drivers license. The permit test will be somewhat different from the regular one and will emphasize the regulations that apply to motorcycles. You may wish to take a few Oregon driver's practice tests to see if you are prepared for the exam. Signing up for a Oregon driver's education class is also not a bad idea if you have not competed the class yet.