Eng Esp

New Jersey Drivers License Endorsements

New Jersey Drivers License Endorsements

In most situations, drivers license endorsements are used for granting you additional driving privileges without having you to apply for a different type of drivers license. Most of the New Jersey driver's license endorsements apply to commercial drivers licenses and thus won't be useful to those who currently hold a regular class C license. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as a motorcycle endorsement. A motorcycle endorsement can be added to any regular drivers license.

New Jersey Driver License Endorsement Codes

Keep in mind that the list of New Jersey driver's license endorsements that is presented here is not full and you may always contact the Motor Vehicle Commission for more details regarding any specific drivers license endorsement.

  • T - Double and Triple Trailer - required by operators of vehicles pulling two or three trailers
  • P - Passenger - Needed by operators of buses or similar vehicles used to transport passengers
  • S - School Bus - Needed by all school bus drivers
  • N - Tanker Vehicle - Needed by operators of vehicles used to transport liquids or gas in bulk
  • H - Hazardous Materials - Needed by operators of vehicles used to transport hazardous materials

To get the HazMat endorsement, you must pass a written test based on the information in Section 9 of the New Jersey CDL drivers manual. You also will need a tank vehicle endorsement if you transport hazardous products in a cargo tank. If you apply for an original or renewal HazMat endorsement, you must undergo a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) federal security threat assessment (background records check). You start the TSA background records check after you apply for your CDL at MVC, successfully complete all appropriate law tests, and submit a valid medical form. You must submit fingerprints, a fee, and any additional required information to one of TSA’s designated agents.

New Jersey Motorcycle Endorsement

You can either add a motorcycle endorsement to your existing New Jersey drivers license or apply for a separate motorcycle driver's license if you do not currently hold a regular license. The application process is very similar to that of applying for a regular license - you will have to take a separate New Jersey permit test, get a permit, than pass the New Jersey driver's test and get your motorcycle drivers license. The permit test will be somewhat different from the regular one and will emphasize the regulations that apply to motorcycles. You may wish to take a few New Jersey drivers practice tests to see if you are prepared for the exam. Signing up for a New Jersey drivers education class is also not a bad idea if you have not competed the class yet.

New Jersey License Restrictions

Apart from granting you additional driving privileges with these driver license endorsements, the MVC may also slap some restrictions onto your license. New Jersey driver's license restrictions are used to discourage or prevent you from driving under certain conditions, for example, if you take the driving test on a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission, you are not allowed to drive a vehicle that is equipped with a regular manual gear shifter.

If you have questions about any specific New Jersey drivers license endorsement, please contact your local MVC office for assistance.