Michigan Drivers License Endorsements
In most situations, drivers license endorsements are used for granting you additional driving privileges without having you to apply for a different type of drivers license. Most of the Michigan driver's license endorsements apply to commercial drivers licenses and thus won't be useful to those who currently hold a regular class C license. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as a motorcycle endorsement. A motorcycle endorsement can be added to any regular drivers license.
Michigan Driver License Endorsement Codes
Keep in mind that the list of Michigan driver's license endorsements that is presented here is not full and you may always contact the Department of Motor Vehicle for more details regarding any specific drivers license endorsement.
- T - Double or Triple Trailers: (Triple trailer combinations are not permitted in Michigan.)
- P - Passenger: For vehicles which are designed to carry 16 or more people (including the driver).
- N - Tank Vehicles: For vehicles designed to haul liquids or liquified gases in bulk in permanently mounted tanks or portable tanks rated at 1,000 gallons or more.
- H - Hazardous Materials: To carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards.
- X - This X-endorsement code will appear on the license instead of the H and N codes when an applicant receives both the tank and hazardous materials endorsements.
- S - School Bus: For commercial motor vehicles used to transport pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events.
To get the HazMat endorsement, you must pass a written test based on the information in Section 9 of the Michigan CDL drivers manual. You also will need a tank vehicle endorsement if you transport hazardous products in a cargo tank. If you apply for an original or renewal HazMat endorsement, you must undergo a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) federal security threat assessment (background records check). You start the TSA background records check after you apply for your CDL at DOT, successfully complete all appropriate law tests, and submit a valid medical form. You must submit fingerprints, a fee, and any additional required information to one of TSA’s designated agents.
Michigan Motorcycle Endorsement
You can either add a motorcycle endorsement to your existing Michigan drivers license or apply for a separate motorcycle driver's license if you do not currently hold a regular license. The application process is very similar to that of applying for a regular license - you will have to take a separate Michigan permit test, get a permit, than pass the Michigan driver's test and get your motorcycle drivers license. The permit test will be somewhat different from the regular one and will emphasize the regulations that apply to motorcycles. You may wish to take a few Michigan drivers practice tests to see if you are prepared for the exam. Signing up for a Michigan drivers education class is also not a bad idea if you have not competed the class yet.
Michigan License Restrictions
Apart from granting you additional driving privileges with these driver license endorsements, the DMV may also slap some restrictions onto your license. Michigan driver's license restrictions are used to discourage or prevent you from driving under certain conditions, for example, if you take the driving test on a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission, you are not allowed to drive a vehicle that is equipped with a regular manual gear shifter.
If you have questions about any specific Michigan drivers license endorsement, please contact your local DMV office for assistance.