Eng Esp

Massachusetts Drivers License Endorsements

Massachusetts Drivers License Endorsements

In most situations, drivers license endorsements are used for granting you additional driving privileges without having you to apply for a different type of drivers license. Most of the Massachusetts driver's license endorsements apply to commercial drivers licenses and thus won't be useful to those who currently hold a regular class C license. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as a motorcycle endorsement. A motorcycle endorsement can be added to any regular drivers license.

Massachusetts Driver License Endorsement Codes

Keep in mind that the list of Massachusetts driver's license endorsements that is presented here is not full and you may always contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles for more details regarding any specific drivers license endorsement.

  • H - Hazardous Materials
  • N - Tank Vehicles
  • P - Passenger Transport
  • T - Doubles/Triples
  • X - HazMat and Tank Vehicles
  • L - Air Brakes
  • S - School Bus

To get the HazMat endorsement, you must pass a written test based on the information in Section 9 of the Massachusetts CDL drivers manual. You also will need a tank vehicle endorsement if you transport hazardous products in a cargo tank. If you apply for an original or renewal HazMat endorsement, you must undergo a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) federal security threat assessment (background records check). You start the TSA background records check after you apply for your CDL at RMV, successfully complete all appropriate law tests, and submit a valid medical form. You must submit fingerprints, a fee, and any additional required information to one of TSA’s designated agents.

Massachusetts Motorcycle Endorsement

You can either add a motorcycle endorsement to your existing Massachusetts driver's license or apply for a separate motorcycle driver's license if you do not currently hold a regular license. The application process is very similar to that of applying for a regular license - you will have to take a separate Massachusetts permit test, get a permit, than pass the Massachusetts driver's test and get your motorcycle drivers license. The permit test will be somewhat different from the regular one and will emphasize the regulations that apply to motorcycles. You may wish to take a few Massachusetts driver's practice tests to see if you are prepared for the exam. Signing up for a Massachusetts driver's education class is also not a bad idea if you have not competed the class yet.