How to get your learner permit or driver license in California?
Basic requirements for obtaining a drivers license or a learners permit in California
- Minimum permit age: 15 and ½
- Minimum holding period: 6 months (for applicants under 18)
- Minimum license age: 16
- Permit test: written test, taken at the DMV, 46 muliple-choice questions on road signs and traffic rules
- License test: driving test, taken at the DMV
- Supervised driving: minimum 40 hours during the day and 10 hours at night
- Driver education: completion of a state-approved driver education course is required for every learner permit applicant who is under 17 and ½ years old.